1910-1949 A Brighter Outlook
1910-1913 Rev H Turner
Mr Henry Turner, a student at Spurgeons College, London, was invited to the pastorate in November 1909 and was offered a stipend of £150, the largest paid by the church to that date. A member of the church generously promised to guarantee that amount. The numbers attending the church began to grow. In 1911 there were 89 members. In the same year it was decided to extend the premises by providing a kitchen on the ground floor and a lecture hall on the first floor. The extensions were to cost £885. A building fund was set up with a loan of £50 from the Baptist Building Fund. The stone laying ceremony took place on 26 September 1911 and the additional rooms were officially opened on 6 March 1913. In that year, Reverend H Turner moved to Belfast and later to Scotland where he served for 30 years as Minister of the John Knox Street Church in Glasgow. Later, he was honoured in being elected President of the Baptist Union of Scotland.
1914-1917 Rev H R Byatt
In 1914, the ‘Faversham Brotherhood’ was commenced and met in the Baptist Church on Sunday afternoons. It is not known whether it survived the First World War. In November 1914, the church provided a reading room for soldiers. In 1916, there were 80 members. Some were serving in the army or navy. During the winter, the caretaker was unable to manage the heating apparatus. It was therefore decided that the gas lights in the church should be lighted one hour before each service, if necessary!
1917-1922 Rev W H Buss
In October 1917, Rev William H. Buss commenced a ministry of five years. Among those taking part in his introduction, induction and recognition services were Rev Dr John Wilson of Woolwich, a former President of the Baptist Union, and Rev John Doubleday of Sittingbourne. Soon after the end of the 1914-18 war, a memorial tablet in the church was unveiled by Lady Alexander, the wife of Sir Sidney Alexander, MD, Mayor of Faversham, 1910-19.
It was at this time that the complete renovation of the premises was undertaken by a team of voluntary workers and the cost of the materials was met by a generous donation by a church member. Church membership now stood at 80. There were more than 250 Sunday school scholars. Mr. Oliver Harris was the devoted leader of the intermediate school with its ten classes. These were great days in Sunday school work. An attendance of 250 was quite usual. Most of the teachers were young people working locally.
The young men's Bible class was conducted by Miss Elsie Vinson. Miss A. Robertson led a similar class for young women. Other activities included a teacher's training class, a band of hope and a young people's fellowship.
Rev W.H. Buss moved to Braintree in 1922 and during his ministry in Essex was married to Miss Eileen Palmer of Faversham. After leaving Braintree, he served for many years as a full-time hospital chaplain in London. He also served as a chaplain to the forces for three years. In 1961, he retired to live in Tankerton.
1922-1924 Rev A J Hodge
Rev Alexander J. Hodge served at Faversham, his first pastorate, for two years. In later years, he was happy to recall the splendid and loyal help of the church officers and also the fact that it was in Faversham that their first child, Mabel, was born. Later, she married Rev Alexander Matthews, both of them serving for some years with the Baptist Missionary Society in Congo. Mr. Hodge ministered for 32 years in Auckland, New Zealand, adding a doctorate in philosophy to his academic honours. He later returned to England and from 1969 until his retirement in 1972 was minister of Northchurch Baptist Church, Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire.
1925-1931 Rev L A Wilson-Haffenden
The minute books of the church record record some important events during the ministry of Rev Lawrence A. Wilson Haffenden including his marriage to Miss Elsie Vinson. Sheppey House, Stone Street was acquired as a manse. The sum of £65, a record to that date, was given to the Baptist Missionary Society. The magnificent organ, one of the finest in the county, the generous gift of Mr Edward Vinson, was dedicated on 3rd June 1926.
In November 1928, Mr Sydney F. Clark entered Regent's Park Baptist College. He graduated in Divinity at London University and served in pastorates at Preston, Blackpool, Nottingham and Sheffield. In 1963, he was appointed the General Superintendent of the North Eastern Area of the Baptist Union.
1932-1937 Rev A C Kerr
Mr. A. Calvin Kerr, BA .D, a student from Regents Park College, commenced a vigorous ministry in 1932. In 1934, Mr. Frederick Ash, ARCM, was appointed organist. Except for a period during the Second World War when he was on active service, he gave talented and devoted service for many years. He went on to be organist and choir master at St Catherine's Church, Preston-next-Faversham.
A significant event during the ministry of Mr Kerr was the decision of the church to become an ‘open membership’ church. The communion service and church membership were now open to all Christians regardless of denomination. Believers baptism was no longer a compulsory qualification.
Mr Alfred Hulkes began long and loyal service to the church. Soon after becoming a church member, he served for some years as church secretary. He was mayor of Faversham 1953-54 and 1954-55.
A noteworthy occasion was the visit of Rev Dr Charles Brown of Ferme Park Church, London, for the Church and Ministers' Anniversary on 19th November 1936.
1937-1940 Rev S C Bastable
War clouds were already showing up in 1937 when Mr Sidney C Bastable came from Bristol Baptist College to his first pastorate. It says much for the courage of minister and people that, in spite of occasions when air raid warnings and dogfights overhead reduced the number of worshippers, not one Sunday service was cancelled. The Baptist Church was the only one in the town of which this could be said. Courageous enterprise was shown in the redecoration and renovation of the church building at a cost of about £200.
In spite of war conditions, there was much musical enterprise. Five choir festivals reaching a very high standard were arranged with the assistance of singers from the Baptist churches of Canterbury, Herne Bay, Margate and Whitstable.
In 1940, Reverend S. C. Bastable moved to Ashley, New Milton, and later served for three years with the Baptist Missionary Society in Jamaica. His subsequent visits to Faversham on several occasions were much appreciated.
1940-1942 No Minister
It is relevant to record the fact that in 42 years, during the first half of the 20th century, official statistics show a loss of 90,943 Baptist church members and 79,634 children, an average yearly loss of 2,165 members and 1,896 children. Church statistics are sometimes optimistic. The real losses may well have been worse.
1942-1947 Rev J E Compton
After a ministry of twenty years in Colchester Rev James E. Compton accepted the invitation to Faversham. Unfortunately, in the early days of his ministry in Faversham, he had to undergo a major surgical operation and was out of the pulpit for a year. He returned to his work and laboured with courage and devotion, but died suddenly in 1947. It was remarkable that his last sermon was on ‘the Saviour's last will and testament’. Not many hours afterwards he died. A very beautiful communion tablecloth was embroidered by his wife and presented to the church.
1947-1949 Rev W H Hercock
Another short pastorate followed. Rev Wilfred H. Hercock had to contend with post-war difficulties. There were few young people in the church. Rationing was still in operation and the church was being run on very limited financial resources. The Baptist Home Work Fund responded to a call for help, and in 1948, the Kent and Sussex Baptist Association offered to lend £100, but it is not known if it was necessary to accept the offer. One of Mr. Hercock's recollections is of the kindness shown to him by many friends during a time of illness.
15/08/2026